Monday 30 July 2012

Well then...

So apparently not only has the only craft store I can get to without bussing over an hour one way closed, but the Zellers at the closest mall is finally closing to make way for the Target that's going in there next year. This means their stock, while nicely discounted, leaves something to be desired ಠ_ಠ

Anyway, while I didn't get as much as I was planning, I did pick up some elastic and velcro at the fabric store. I don't really need it now, but since I was in the area figured I might as well save a trip later. Also picked up some poster board at the local dollar store so I can make a mockup of Soundwave's head when I get the design sketched out.

Can't wait until I can get a ride to the local Home Depot, though, so I can pick up some insulation foam. I worked with it briefly years ago and after checking out various cosplay sites, it looks like it's the best stuff to work with for anything that needs to be durable (and several layers of wood glue/tissue paper paper mache is supposed to reinforce it pretty well while not adding much weight and being sandable). It's probably also cheaper than crafting foam >_>

Initially I was thinking Wonderflex would work pretty well, but that stuff is way too expensive to do something as big as this. Soundwave's arms alone would likely cost upwards of $200. Though if I had the money I'd likely go that route and do the EL sheets for all the glowy bits, but I'm not going to spend $500+ on a costume which I still don't know where I'd wear it to >P

Anyway, I'll see what I can do with the helm design tonight so I can possibly work on it tomorrow. Don't know if I'll do that or work on the arm some more now that I have proper materials for it, but I'll do something.

No comments:

Post a Comment